Dependable Health Insurance for Immigrants

Green card holders have a variety of insurance options depending on whether they frequently travel out of the US, live in the US permanently, or have recently become permanent residents. While it is not required in the US to have insurance, it is still strongly recommended, as insurance will help you avoid future financial problems in the case of a medical emergency. 

Finding the right health insurance for immigrants can be tricky, especially if you are unaware of your options. There are often different options available based on how long you have been in the country, how much money you make, and several other variables. No matter what, it is important to make sure you understand what options are available, as well as how to choose the best insurance according to your specific needs. 

medical insurance

Weigh Your Options for Green Card Health Insurance

While health insurance is no longer required by the US government, it is strongly recommended. According to, many immigrants qualify for insurance through the Healthcare Marketplace, including those seeking medical insurance for green card parents, as well as: 

  • Green card holders 
  • Refugees and asylum seekers  
  • Battered spouses, parents, or children 
  • Victims of trafficking 
  • Individuals with temporary protected status (TPS)
  • Lawful temporary resident
  • Cuban and Haitian entrants
  • Those paroled in the United States
  • Individuals with a working visa (including H1, H-2A, H-2B, U-visa, T-visa, or student visa)
  • Individuals with a K visa who are engaged to be married to a U.S. citizen 

You don’t necessarily need to have an income to apply. Unfortunately, though, undocumented immigrants do not have the opportunity to seek coverage through the Healthcare Marketplace. Individuals without a social security number, but who are lawfully present in the United States may want to consider visitor insurance. This can be purchased on a short-term basis. These insurance plans do not cover pre-existing conditionsthey are simply for emergencies while in the United States. This will not help immigrants already suffering from an illness. Individuals in this situation will need to apply for permanent residency or citizenship. Otherwise, they can possibly seek coverage under someone who is a documented individual in the United States. However, the process can be long and complex. There are a few options for health insurance for people without a social security number. One option is the indemnity insurance plan, which has a minimum essential coverage policy, which covers preventative care and has a fixed benefit plan. The other option is a short-term medical policy for coverage that is less than 12 months long.  

Find Quotes for Immigrant Insurance

If you are seeking medical for green card holders, there are numerous coverage options to consider. 

Inbound Choice charges $44.33 for a premium for one person at age 50 years for 31 days coverage. This includes $50,000 per injury or sickness with a per-incident deductible of $100. For hospital days, there’s a $1,500 per day max, $2,000 per day for injury or sickness for intensive care, $68 for prescription drugs for each injury or sickness, and $38 for each visit to the doctor. 

Inbound Immigrant is slightly more at $50.84 per month, but they allow you to have the plan for 1,820 days versus only 728 days for Inbound Choice. If you want a lower premium, you can consider Visitors Care. The premium for this plan is only $29 per month and has different coverage options to choose from. The plan offers options of $25,000, $50,000 and $100,000 for the entire plan’s life with a deductible options of $0, $50 and $100. You can only have this plan for 2 years. The basic $25,000 plan will only pay $825 per day if you end up in the hospital and pay $150 for each prescription medication. 

While the above two plans offer limited benefits, Green Cover offers comprehensive health insurance for immigrants. The plan covers non-US citizens in the US between the ages of 60 and 95 years of age. The policy can be purchased within 5 years of arriving in the US and can be bought for a length as little as 5 days and up to a maximum of 364 days. If you initially buy less than 364 days you may extend the policy to a total of 364 days. If you need additional coverage you can buy a new policy when the prior one ends. The policy maximum and deductible vary by age—there is an 80% co-insurance after deductible. The policy includes coverage for International travel anywhere outside of the US up to $5,000 for ages 60 to 74 years and $2500 for ages 75 to 95 years. 

The policy has two partsA and B. Part A comprises of Hospitalization while Part B comprises of inpatient and outpatient care along with supplies, therapy and Ambulance services. The policy also provides some protections for some specialized benefits like Alzheimer’s disease, cardiac and /or cancer and cataract surgery. 

There are many immigrant health insurance plans available, so you will need to consider your budget, health, and level of risk when choosing the right one for you. 

Coverage through Your Insurance Plan 

Your plan will help cover the costs of any doctor’s visits, medications and/or hospitalizations. Healthcare in the U.S. can be extremely expensive without insurance, and even if you are young and healthy, it is much better to avoid potential risk than ignore it altogetherHaving insurance is a way of ensuring you are covered under any potential outcome. 

Variables for Immigrant Insurance 

Coverage, benefits and deductibles vary between plans when it comes to health insurance for immigrantsHowever, there are specific options available depending on the needs of the insured. In the case of travel insurance for pre-existing conditions, some insurance plans will cover it while others will not. Insurance companies seek to make money off the premiums that people pay. If they know the person they are insuring will end up with medical bills beyond what they will pay over a certain number of years, they will be less likely to want to take you on. Or, they will charge you a much higher premium. For this reason, you should take your time when deciding on the right insurance plan. Every insurance company is different; one company may charge you less for the same amount of coverage another company offers.

Health Insurance for Immigrants Over 65

Some people are also curious about Medicare and whether they can receive this option if they are over 65. If you are an immigrant over the age of 65, you can apply for Medicare once you have lived in the U.S. for 5 years. Of course, new immigrants don’t have this option; they need to secure coverage directly through insurance companies to cover costs. 

Know Before You Apply: Health Insurance for Non-Residents

If you choose to apply for insurance through the Healthcare Marketplace, you must live in the U.S., be a citizen or be lawfully present, and not be incarcerated. This means you will have to wait to apply until everything is settled for your immigrant status. Those who are still waiting for their green cards cannot apply for Obamacare. However, if you want to apply for insurance early, other options may allow you to do so. If you’re looking for health insurance for non-US citizensVisitorGuard has you covered.