Study USA-HealthCare Insurance for International Students on F1, J1, and M Visas
- Who: Available for foreign students studying in the US under age 66, and their dependents, with a valid visa and are registered and engaged in academic activities at a US school, college, or university. US registered students studying outside the US under age 66, who are registered with a US school, college, or university and engaged in academic activities abroad (excluding home country).
- What: Provides insurance for medical accidents, illness, Physical Therapy & Chiropractic Care, Dental Treatment due to Accident, Mental Health Disorders, Emergency Medical Evacuation.
- Where: Provides coverage within and outside the United States.
Why is Study USA-HealthCare Insurance Good for International Students?
Study USA-HealthCare Insurance provides affordable student medical insurance to foreign students studying in the US and to US registered students studying abroad. This flexible, comprehensive plan is tailored to the specific needs of students and their dependents. Study USA-HealthCare Insurance offers four options to choose from based on your requirement – Basic, Standard, Preferred, and Platinum. Depending on the plan, you get coverage for Wellness visits, maternity, and pre-existing conditions after a waiting period. Study USA-HealthCare Insurance meets the health insurance requirements for international students at many universities. Upon purchase, we can complete the insurance waiver form of US universities and send it to the International Students’ Office.
Plan Benefits: Per incident coverage for in-patient and out-patient medical accidents & illness up to a maximum of $500,000 based on the selected plan. The deductible is per-incident and varies per the chosen plan and varies from $25 to $250. Coverage for maternity with the Standard, Preferred, and Platinum plans.
Pre-existing: The Study USA-HealthCare provides coverage for Pre-existing as follows:
- Basic Plan: No Benefit
- Standard Plan: Covered up to $500 maximum after a 12-month waiting period, $5000 for acute onset of a pre-existing condition.
- Preferred Plan: Covered up to policy maximum after a 12-month waiting period
- Platinum Plan: Covered up to policy maximum after a 6-month waiting period.
PPO Hospital Network: In the US, you can check for hospitals and doctors with direct billing.
EU residents: Find a doctor (provider) in the FirstHealth network;
All others: Find a doctor (provider) in the UnitedHealthCare network.
Outside the US: You can also use any doctor or hospital.
Special Feature 1: Covid-19 coverage on Standard, Preferred, and Platinum plans
Special Feature 2: Maternity coverage on Standard, Preferred, and Platinum plans
Special Feature 3: Optional upgrade for Intramural, Intercollegiate, Interscholastic or Club Sports coverage on the Platinum plan with a minimum of 90 days purchase
Special Feature 4: Optional Upgrade for Vaccination on the Platinum plan with a minimum of 90 days purchase
What Coverage & Benefits are Offered by Study USA-HealthCare Insurance
Study USA-HealthCare Healthcare insurance plan provides a choice of four options – Basic, Standard, Preferred and Platinum based on your need and budget. The Standard Preferred and Platinum plans meet the U.S. government student visa requirements for J1 visa scholars and international students. The plan provides individual coverage as well as for the entire family. The plan includes coverage for per-incident medical inpatient and outpatient expenses, mental health and alcohol abuse, emergency medical evacuation, terrorism coverage, accidental death & dismemberment, and repatriation of remains. Study USA-HealthCare coverage can be bought up to 364 consecutive days and can be further renewed for up to 4 years as long as you fulfill the eligibility requirements
You can review the detailed benefits in the Brochure
- Choice of four plans – Basic, Standard, Preferred, and Platinum
- Coverage for Covid-19 included on Standard, Preferred, and Platinum
- Per incident medical coverage for J1 visa scholars and international student meeting visa requirements
- Medical insurance limits from $100,000 to $500,000 per injury sickness
- Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains coverage
- Mental or Nervous Disorders/alcohol & Substance Abuse coverage
- Maternity coverage on selected plans.
- Optional upgrade for Vaccinations and Intramural, Intercollegiate, Interscholastic or Club Sports coverage on Platinum plan
Benefits Study USA-HealthCare Plan
|Benefit||Study USA Basic||Study USA Standard||Study USA Preferred||Study USA Platinum|
|Prescription Drugs||50% of actual charge||$30 copay generic/ $100 copay brand name||$15 copay generic/ $50 copay brand name||$15 copay generic/ $30 copay brand name|
|Covid-19 coverage||Not covered||Covered||Covered||Covered|
What is the Price or Cost of Study USA-HealthCare Insurance?
The pricing is dependent on the following factors: The premium will depend on what plan option you choose, along with the age, and coverage days.
Plan Limit: The Study USA- HealthCare Insurance has four options- Basic, Standard, Preferred, and Premium. Medical insurance limits vary from $100,000 to $500,000 per injury sickness with a per-incident deductible of $25 – $250 depending on the plan.
Age: Plan is available for ages 14 days to up to 65 years.
Coverage Days: Coverage can be bought up to 364 consecutive days and can be further renewed for up to 4 years as long as you fulfill the eligibility requirements
Optional Coverage Benefits Riders: The following riders can be added at an additional premium:
Upgrade for Vaccinations: Available on the Platinum Plan with a minimum of 90 days purchase
Upgrade for Intramural, Intercollegiate, Interscholastic or Club Sports: Available on the Platinum Plan with a minimum of 90 days purchase
Study USA-HealthCare Plan Price Table
|Age||Study USA Basic||Study USA Standard||Study USA Preferred||Study USA Platinum|
|Under 25 years||$33.21||$47.64||$76.70||$87.64|
|From 25 to 29 years||$64.16||$90.03||$111.89||$127.93|
|From 30 to 34 years||$96.72||$122.25||$141.80||$162.21|
|From 35 to 39 years||$144.44||$173.05||$200.55||$229.00|
|From 40 to 44 years||$167.97||$217.54||$252.28||$289.08|
|From 45 to 49 years||$172.16||$226.99||$273.39||$312.76|
|From 50 to 54 years||$327.24||$424.56||$504.90||$577.46|
|From 55 to 65 years||$335.62||$511.09||$605.18||$692.31|
FAQ: How does Study USA-HealthCare Insurance Plan work?
- You must be under age 65; and
- A full-time student at a college or university (excluding online colleges and universities); or
- Within 31 days of being a full-time student at a college or university; or
- A student under age 19 enrolled in a secondary school; or
- A full-time scholar affiliated with an educational institution and performing work or research for at least 30 hours per week; and
2. You must be residing outside your home country for the purpose of pursuing international educational activities; and
3. You must not have obtained residency status in your host country; and
4. If in the U.S., you must hold a valid education-related visa. A copy of the I-20 or DS2019 may be requested. J-1 and F-1 visa holders: The full-time student/scholar status requirement is waived within the U.S. if you have a valid F-1 visa (including OPT) or a J-1 visa. Full-time status requirements remain in force for individuals holding M-1, or other category visas.
- You be the participant’s legally married spouse, or must be the participant’s unmarried child under age 19 years and chiefly dependent on the participant for support and maintenance; and
- You must accompany the participant abroad on a similar visa or passport while the participant engages in international educational activities; and
- You must be temporarily located outside the participant’s home country; and
- You must not have obtained residency status in the host country.
C. Special Conditions for Newborn or Adopted Children:
- Newborn or adopted children will be automatically covered as dependents for the first 31 days of life provided that the delivery is covered by this insurance or placement occurs while the participant’s coverage is in effect. If the delivery of the newborn is not covered under this insurance, the newborn is eligible for coverage beginning at 14 days of age.
- Newborn and adopted children must be enrolled within the first 31 days after birth for newborns or within 31 days of placement for adoptions. Enrollment requires written notification of the new dependent’s name, birth date, gender, and citizenship as well as payment of any additional premium due.
- If a newborn or adopted child is not enrolled by the 31st day following birth (for newborns) or placement (for adopted children), then coverage terminates on the 31st day.
Yes, Study USA-HealthCare is for students studying outside their home country.
If in the United States, you must hold a valid education-related visa. A copy of the I-20 or DS2019 may be requested. J-1 and F-1 visa holders: The full-time student/scholar status requirement is waived within the U.S. if you have a valid F-1 visa (including OPT) or a J-1 visa. Full-time status requirements remain in force for individuals holding M-1, or other category visas.
The Study USA-HealthCare provides coverage for Pre-existing as follows:
- Basic Plan: No Benefit
- Standard Plan: Covered up to $500 maximum after a 12-month waiting period; $5000 for acute onset of a pre-existing condition.
- Preferred Plan: Covered up to policy maximum after a 12-month waiting period
- Platinum Plan: Covered up to policy maximum after a 6-month waiting period
Waiting time is the length of time after the effective date that you must wait until charges for treatment of the pre-existing conditions are covered.
Pre-existing Condition means any
(1) condition for which medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment (includes receiving services and
supplies, consultations, diagnostic tests, or prescription medicines) was recommended or received during
the 12 months immediately preceding the certificate effective date;
(2) a condition that had manifested itself in such a manner that would have caused a reasonably prudent
person to seek medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment (includes receiving services and supplies,
consultations, diagnostic tests, or prescription medicines) within the 12 months immediately preceding
the certificate effective date;
For International Students Studying in the U.S.:
- If you choose to be seen at your Student Health Center first, you will receive the in-network benefit.
- For other incidents, if you use a doctor or hospital in Study USA-HealthCare’s large preferred provider network, you will pay a lower deductible and co-insurance than if you go outside the network.
- You can also use any doctor or hospital. The Emergency Assistance Company can help you locate a doctor or hospital.For U.S. Students Studying Outside the U.S.: Study USA-HealthCare does not have a Preferred Provider Network outside of the U.S.
- You can choose to be seen at the Student Health Center or at another doctor or hospital and receive the in-network benefit.
- If you go to the Student Health Center first, your deductible for such incidents will be waived.
- You can also use any doctor or hospital. The Emergency Assistance Company can help you locate a doctor or hospital in the country where you are studying.
Or, for a complete listing of Preferred Provider participants please contact Tokio Marine HCC – MIS Group, inside the U.S. at 1-800-605-2282, or from outside the U.S. at 1-317-262-2132
Leisure, Recreational, Entertainment, or fitness sports and activities are covered up to the overall maximum limit for injury or illness sustained while taking part in sports and activities unless it is excluded. You must ensure the activity is adequately supervised and that appropriate safety equipment (such as protective headwear, life jackets, etc.) are worn at all times.
The policy does not cover you if:
- The sports or athletics involve regular or scheduled practice and/or games; or
- The sports or athletics are intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, or club sports; or
- The activity is performed in a professional capacity or for any wage, reward, or profit; or
- Expenses arise directly or indirectly from anything mentioned in the General Exclusions; or
- Any of the excluded item
Optional Buy up available on the Platinum plan for Intramural, Intercollegiate, Interscholastic or Club Sports
Yes, under Study USA Standard, Study USA Preferred and Platinum, it covers the pregnancy of an insured student or enrolled spouse if the conception of pregnancy occurs after the effective date of coverage. It does not cover the pregnancy of a dependent child.
The application will need the name, date of birth, visitor’s address, passport country, and email address to send the insurance documents. If you do have the passport number, you can enter it. A valid credit card will be required to complete the purchase.
These states and countries have specific regulations that prevent soliciting health insurance to residents within these states and countries. Study USA is not available to those who are physically located in the states of New York, Maryland, or Washington; or in the countries of Canada or Australia at the time of purchase.
eg. If the student is from Australia, but he or she is currently in California, the student is eligible to purchase but if the student is in Australia or any of the restricted countries and states mentioned above he/she is not eligible to purchase the plan.
Once the application is submitted, an email will be sent to the email address provided on the application which will include links to download the ID card, Visa Letter, and Certificate wording.
After the Study USA Insurance has been completed, simply fill in your portion of your school’s Compliance or Waiver Form, sign it, and fax it to us at (610) 537-9851 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The form will be completed and faxed back to the school for you typically within one business day.
Yes – Study USA-HealthCare can be renewed for up to 4 years, as long as you fulfill the eligibility requirements
You can Renew your Study USA-HealthCare coverage before it expires. Once the plan expires a new application can be completed.
Before the effective date of the policy: Premiums will be refunded in full if a cancellation request is received prior to the certificate effective date
After the effective date of the policy: Premiums may be refunded after the certificate effective date subject to the following provisions:
- A $25 cancellation fee will apply for administrative costs incurred by us; and
- Only premium for unused whole months, if paying in monthly installments, or unused days, if paid in full, of the plan will be refunded; and
- You cannot have filed any claims to be eligible for a premium refund; and
- No refund of premium shall be granted after 60 days.
It is a good practice to keep a copy of the entire Claims documents with you before you submit the Claims for processing
- Download and complete the Claims form
- Attach copies of all the pages of the passport
- Attach the itemized bills
- Submit the above within the stipulated time of 60 days after seeing the provider
- Follow up by calling 1-800-605-2282 / 317-262-2132
Claims filing address and email:
Tokio Marine HCC – MIS Group
Box No. 2005
Farmington Hills, MI 48333-2005
Phone Number: 1-800-605-2282 / 317-262-2132
Study USA Health Care Insurance is underwritten by Lloyd’s of London – Syndicate 4141 and rated A (Excellent) by A.M.Best
Reviews of Study USA-HealthCare Insurance for US Visitors
Add your comment by signing in or signing up.