StudentSecure® for International Students and Scholars in USA
- Who: Available to US and non-US citizens under the age of 65 years who are full-time international students or scholars studying outside of their home country. Available for full-time scholars on J1 visas affiliated with an educational institution and performing work or research for at least 30 hours per week.
- What: Provides coverage for in-patient and out-patient medical expenses, Hospital Room & Board, Local Ambulance, Intensive Care Unit, Outpatient Prescription Drug coverage, Mental Health coverage, and more.
- Where: Provides coverage outside the home country. Non-US citizens can get coverage in the US and outside their home country. US citizens get coverage outside US.
Why is StudentSecure® Insurance Good for International Students and Scholars?
StudentSecure® Medical Insurance is a plan designed to meet the needs of international students and scholars. Four levels of coverage Select, Budget, Smart, and Elite options, ensure that you can find the ideal plan. Each plan includes coverage for Medical Expenses, Emergency Medical Evacuation, and Acts of Terrorism. Pre-existing conditions are covered after 6 months for Elite and Select option and after 12 months for Budget. The plan can be initially purchased for up to a maximum of 12 months and can be renewed up to a maximum of 4 years without a break in coverage.
You can review detailed benefits in the Brochure
Plan Benefits: There are four levels of coverage Smart, Budget, Select, and Elite coverage for in-patient and out-patient medical expenses, Hospital Room & Board, Local Ambulance, Intensive Care Unit, Outpatient Prescription Drug coverage, Mental Health coverage, and more. Coverage of medical expenses ranging from $100,000 to $500,000 per injury and illness.
Deductible: Within the PPO network, outside the U.S. or at a student health center, Elite has a deductible of $25 per injury or illness, Select has a $35, Budget $45, and Smart $50 per injury and sickness deductible. Outside the network, the deductible will vary. There is an additional deductible for Emergency Room in the US.
Pre-existing: Pre-existing conditions are covered after 6 months for Elite and Select while Budget has a 12 month waiting period. The Smart option does not cover pre-existing conditions. All options have a $25,000 lifetime maximum for eligible expenses for acute onset of pre-existing conditions..
PPO Hospital Network: In the US, the StudentSecure® insurance plan follows the FirstHealth PPO
Special Feature 1: Meets J-1 visa requirements
Special Feature 2: Monthly payment option (or savings for paying the full premium in advance)
Special Feature 3: Optional intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, or club sports rider for Elite, Select, and Budget plans.
What Coverage and Benefits are offered by StudentSecure® Insurance?
StudentSecure Medical Insurance international health insurance for full time students and scholars studying outside their home country. Provides international student insurance that meets the requirements of many programs and schools at a budget-friendly rate. The plan offers four levels of coverage Smart, Budget, Select and Elite. Each plan includes coverage for Medical Expenses, Emergency Medical Evacuation, Repatriation of remains, Acts of Terrorism and more. Pre-existing conditions are covered after 6 months on the Elite and Select options and after 12 months on the Budget. The plan provides coverage that meets or exceeds most government and visa requirements including J1 visa requirements. Coverage that meets the requirements of many programs and schools at a budget-friendly rate
The plan provides coverage of medical expenses $200,000-$500,000 depending on the plan. Deductibles vary as per plan choice and depends on the in network or out of network provider used.
StudentSecure Medical Insurance may be extended after the initial purchase up to a maximum of 12 months at a time from the initial effective date. The plan can be renewed up to a maximum of 4 years without a break in coverage.
You can review detailed benefits in the Brochure
- Medical benefits such as Hospital Room & Board, Intensive Care Unit, and Local Ambulance included
- Coverage for leisure sports and activities included, as well as some outpatient prescription drug coverage and mental health coverage
- Monthly payment option (or savings for paying the full premium in advance)
- Meets J-1 visa requirements
- Coverage for Maternity for a Covered Pregnancy (Except smart plan)
- Pre-existing conditions are covered after 6 months for Select and Elite
- Mental Health Disorders – Outpatient & inpatient coverage
- Terrorism – $50,000 (No Coverage for Smart)
- Optional coverage for Intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, club sports on the Elite, Select, and Budget
Benefits for StudentSecure® Plan
|Benefit||Coverage Amount up to 64 years||Coverage Amount above 64 years|
|In-patient Hospital||$200,000 – $500,000||$200,000 – $500,000|
|Out-patient Clinic||$200,000 – $500,000||$200,000 – $500,000|
|Doctor Visit||$200,000 – $500,000||$200,000 – $500,000|
|Prescription Drugs||$200,000 – $500,000||$200,000 – $500,000|
What is the Price or Cost of StudentSecure® Insurance?
The pricing is dependent on the following factors: Premium will depend on the chosen option- Elite, Select, Budget, or Smart. The higher the plan limit, age, or coverage days, the higher will be the premium. If you add any optional coverage the premium will increase. Your premium reduces if you opt for a higher deductible.
Plan Limit: StudentSecure® has options of Elite, Select, Budget and Smart. The Maximum Benefit Per Injury or Illness that the Elite provides is$500,000, Select provides $300,000, Budget, $250,000 while Smart $100,000. All plans meet the J1 visa requirement.
Age: Available for students under the age of 65 years.
Coverage Days: Plan can be initially purchased for up to a maximum of 12 months and can be renewed up to a maximum of 4 years without a break in coverage.
Optional Coverage Benefits Riders: Optional riders include the following:
- Optional intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, or club sports rider: Up to $5,000 maximum per injury or illness with the Elite, Select, and budget. (no option for Smart)
- Optional rider for Crisis Response Coverage: Up to a maximum of $100,000 with the Elite, Select, and budget. (no option for Smart)
StudentSecure® Plan Price Table
|Age||StudentSecure Elite||StudentSecure Select||StudentSecure Budget||StudentSecure Smart|
FAQ: How does StudentSecure® Plan work?
In order to be eligible for any of our StudentSecure international student health plans, you must meet the following requirements:
1. Must be:
- a full-time student at a college or university, excluding online colleges and universities, or
- within 31 days of being a full-time student at a college or university, or
- a student under age 19 enrolled in a secondary school, or
- a full-time scholar affiliated with an educational institution and performing work or research for at least 30 hours per week
The full-time student/scholar status requirement is waived for participants within the U.S. holding a valid F-1 visa or J-1 visa. Full-time status requirements remain in force for individuals holding M-1 or other category visas.
2. Must be residing outside the home country for the purpose of pursuing international educational activities.
3. Must not have obtained residency status in the host country. Participants visiting the U.S. must hold a valid education-related visa. A copy of the I-20 or DS-2019 may be requested. For U.S. citizens and residents, the host country must be outside the U.S., including U.S. territories.
Charges resulting directly or indirectly from any pre-existing condition are excluded from StudentSecure Elite and StudentSecure Select during the first 6 months of coverage and from StudentSecure Budget during the first 12 months of coverage.
All StudentSecure plans include Acute Onset of Pre-existing Conditions (excluding chronic and congenital conditions) up to a lifetime maximum of $25,000 for eligible expenses. Note that StudentSecure Smart provides Acute Onset of Pre-existing Conditions coverage only.
A pre-existing condition is any condition:
- for which medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment was recommended or received within 2 years prior to your effective date of coverage
- which would cause a reasonably prudent person to seek medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment within 2 years prior to your effective date of coverage
- that existed (with reasonable medical certainty) with 2 years prior to your effective date of coverage, whether or not it was known to you
The acute onset of a pre-existing condition means a sudden and unexpected outbreak or recurrence of a pre-existing condition which occurs spontaneously and without advance warning in the form of physician recommendations or symptoms, is of short duration, is rapidly progressive, and requires urgent care. The acute onset of a pre-existing condition must occur after the effective date of the policy. Treatment must be obtained within 24 hours of the sudden and unexpected outbreak or recurrence. A pre-existing condition that is a chronic or congenital condition or that gradually becomes worse over time will not be considered acute onset.
StudentSecure provides benefits for mental health disorders (treatment must not be obtained at a student health center).
Under StudentSecure Elite, StudentSecure Select, and StudentSecure Budget, outpatient is covered up to a maximum of 30 visits. Inpatient is covered up to a maximum of 30 days.
Under StudentSecure Smart, outpatient is covered up to a $50 maximum per day and up to a $500 lifetime maximum. Inpatient is covered up to a $5,000 lifetime maximum.
When conception occurs after the effective date of coverage, StudentSecure Elite, Select, and Budget plans provide maternity benefits, including but not limited to pre-natal, delivery, and post-natal care for a covered pregnancy, subject to the maximums shown in the Schedule of Benefits and Limits. There is no maternity coverage for StudentSecure Smart.
StudentSecure Elite, Select, and Budget offer an optional rider that provides coverage for medical expenses resulting from injuries or illnesses sustained while participating in intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, or club sports.
The rider for StudentSecure Elite and Select covers up to a maximum of $5,000 per injury or illness. The rider for StudentSecure Budget covers up to a maximum of $3,000 per injury or illness. StudentSecure Smart does not offer a rider for organized sports activities.
To be eligible for coverage, the sports or athletics must be sanctioned by your school and cannot be performed for any wage, reward, or profit.
All four StudentSecure plans include coverage for eligible medical expenses resulting from injuries or illnesses sustained while participating in leisure, recreational, entertainment, or fitness activities. Eligible expenses are covered up to the overall maximum limit. Please review the StudentSecure Description of Coverage for a list of excluded sports and activities
The application will need the name, date of birth, visitor’s address, passport country, and email address to send the insurance documents. If you do have the passport number, you can enter it. A valid credit card will be required to complete the purchase.
Once the application is submitted, an email will be sent to the email address provided on the application which will include links to download the ID card, Visa Letter, and Certificate wording.
Your fulfillment documents will include:
- How to seek medical treatment
- How to file a medical claim
- How to access Client Zone
- How to contact Tokio Marine HCC – MIS Group
- Link to the Description of Coverage for your policy
- Name, address, ID number, and citizenship of the insured
- Policy start and end dates and length of coverage
- Certain policy details including plan name, the overall maximum limit, maximum per injury/illness, deductible, and any optional coverage elected
- Purchase date, payment type, and the amount paid
- Name and address of plan administrator
Policyholder/Certificate Holder Notice
- Important notice about OFAC sanctions
European Union GDPR Data Protection Notice
(Note that you will only receive this notice if you are a citizen or resident of the European Union OR if you are a visitor traveling to the European Union)
- How we use your personal and sensitive information and who we may disclose it to
- Information about your data protection rights
- How to opt-out of marketing communications or withdraw your consent
- Name of primary insured
- ID number and the effective date of coverage
- Instructions on pre-notification and how to file a claim
- Name and logo of PPO network
Coverage can be renewed up to a maximum of 4 years as long as you meet eligibility requirements. Renewal may be completed within the last 6 months of a 12-month certificate period. Deductible and coinsurance must be re-satisfied as of each renewal date.
Follow the below instructions to EXTEND your StudentSecure insurance plan:
- Log into your Student Zone account
- Click the “Policy” tab in the main navigation menu at the top of the page.
- Click “Extend Coverage” in the dropdown menu.
- Enter the extension of coverage date.
- Click “Recalculate.”
- Click “Proceed to Payment Page.”
- Enter payment information.
- Click “Extend My Coverage.”
Your coverage confirmation will be sent to the email address you entered.
You may submit a written cancellation request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your StudentSecure policy. To be eligible for a full refund, the request for cancellation must be received prior to the effective date.
Cancellation requests received after the effective date will be subject to the following conditions:
- A $25 cancellation fee will apply
- If paying in monthly installments, only premium for unused whole months will be refunded
- If paid in full, only premium for unused days will be refunded
- Only members who have no claims are eligible for a premium refund
- After 60 days, no refunds are granted
You must complete, sign, and submit a Claimant’s Statement and Authorization form (one for each incident).
If you file a claim on behalf of another person, you MUST include the Authorization Form for Use and/or Disclosure of Protected Health Information (HIPAA)—signed by the policyholder—in order to speak with us regarding any of the policyholder’s protected health information (PHI). Without this signed form, we may only disclose to you the status of the claim.
You can complete and submit the Claimant’s Statement and Authorization form and/or Authorization Form for Use and/or Disclosure of Protected Health Information in one of the following ways:
- Via online Submit Claim Request form – Download the Claimant’s Statement and Authorization form here or download the HIPAA form here. Then visit https://service.hccmis.com and select “Submitting a Claim or an Appeal” under the “Contact Us” header. Click the “Submit Claim” button. Fill in the requested information on the Submit Claim Request form and upload the form(s), along with supporting documentation (medical records, receipts, invoices, etc.). Click “Submit.”
Print, complete, and sign the form(s) and email to email@example.com OR mail to:
Tokio Marine HCC – MIS Group
Box. No. 2005
Farmington Hills, MI
TM HCC – MIS Group is also happy to fax, e-mail, or mail the form(s) to you upon request.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR STUDENTS:
For eligibility purposes, you must submit the following along with a Claimant’s Statement and Authorization form:
- A copy of your education-related visa (F1, J1, OPT, etc.) or valid I-20/DS2019
- Proof of full-time student status (not necessary if submitting a valid F1 visa including OPT, or J1 visa)
See “How to Submit a Claim” guide for more information
If you are hospitalized as an inpatient on your coverage termination date, StudentSecure will provide a benefit period of 60 days for the condition(s) you were hospitalized for only. The benefit period begins on the first date that you receive diagnosis or treatment for that condition and continues for 60 days, regardless of whether you are abroad or return to your home country.
Reviews of StudentSecure® for International Students and Scholars
Add your comment by signing in or signing up.