Patriot Exchange Program -for J1 Visa Insurance and Study Abroad
- Who: Patriot Exchange Program Insurance designed for students, scholars, cultural exchange participants including J1 and J2 visas, families, and groups of two or more students.
- What: Plan includes coverage for Medical Expenses, Emergency Medical Evacuation, Repatriation, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and Incidental Trip Coverage.
- Where: Patriot Exchange Program Insurance provides coverage to non-US citizens and US citizens outside the country of residence. Non-US citizens traveling to the US need to be on F1/F2, J1/J2, M1/M2, or A1/A2 visas.
Why is Patriot Exchange Program Good for International Students and Scholars?
Patriot Exchange Program is specially designed for individuals and groups involved in educational or cultural exchange. The plan meets the J1 visa insurance requirement and is very popular in the J visa community.
- Plan Benefits: You can choose from options of $50,000, $100,000, $250,000, and $500,000 maximum limit per illness/injury for medical insurance for inpatient as well as out-patient benefits. The Plan includes coverage for Repatriation of Remains up to $25,000 and Medical Evacuation up to $50,000. Additionally, the plan includes AD&D, Dental as well as Substance abuse benefits.
- Pre-existing: After a waiting period of 12 months, charges for conditions existing within 36 months before the effective date, can be covered up to $500 per period of coverage and $1,500 maximum limit. The plan offers up to a $5,000 maximum limit for a sudden and unexpected recurrence of a pre-existing.
- PPO Hospital Network: Outside the US the plan does not follow a network. You can utilize the International Provider Access for assistance in locating a health care provider. Inside the US, the Patriot Exchange Insurance provider network is United HealthCare.
- Special Feature 1: Includes coverage for Covid-19
- Special Feature 2: Adventure sports rider, Chaperone/Faculty Leader Trip-Interruption Rider
What Coverage and Benefits are offered by Patriot Exchange Program?
The Patriot Exchange Insurance is designed to meet the U.S. visa insurance requirements for individuals and groups of two or more students’ scholars, and cultural exchange participants studying abroad. Coverage can be purchased in monthly increments for up to 12-month periods, for a maximum of 48 continuous months. You can review the benefits in the Brochure
- Individuals and groups can select from four plan options- $50,000, $100,000, $250,000 and $500,000 maximum limit;
- Coverage for Hospitalization, ER, Dr. Office Visits, Prescription Drugs for individuals, groups, and their dependents;
- No coinsurance- plan pays 100% for all the eligible expenses after the deductible;
- Urgent Care – $50 copay and No Deductible;
- Walk-In Clinic – $20 copay and No Deductible;
- Emergency Medical Evacuation to the nearest qualified medical center or hospital;
- Repatriation or Return of Mortal Remains coverage;
- Optional add-on rider for high school sports, personal liability, and legal assistance
- Adventure sports rider; Chaperone /Faculty Leader Trip-Interruption Rider
Benefits of Patriot Exchange Program
|Benefit||Coverage Amount up to 64 years||Coverage Amount above 65 years|
|In-patient Hospital||From $50,000|
|Out-patient Clinic||From $50,000|
|Doctor Visit||From $50,000|
|Prescription Drugs||From $50,000|
Patriot Exchange Program Cost
The pricing is dependent on the following factors: The higher the plan limit, age, or coverage days, the higher will be the premium. If you add any optional coverage the premium will increase. Your premium reduces if you opt for a higher deductible.
Plan Limit: Patriot Exchange plan has a plan maximum choices of $50,000, $100,000, $250,000, $500,000 per injury/sickness.
Patriot Exchange plan has a plan maximum choices of $50,000, $100,000, $250,000, $500,000;
Age: Coverage is available from ages of 31 days to 64 years;
Coverage Days: Coverage can be purchased in monthly increments for up to 12-month periods, for a maximum of 48 continuous months;
Optional Coverage Benefits Riders: Optional riders include the following:
- Adventure Sports Rider: $50,000 through age 49; $30,000 for ages 50-59; $15,000 for ages 60-64
- Chaperone/ Faculty Leader Trip Interruption Rider: Up to $3,000
Patriot Exchange Plan Price Table (Coverage excluding the U.S.)
|Age||Policy Max Limit $50,000||Policy Max Limit $100,000|
|31 days-24 years||$36||$42|
Patriot Exchange Plan Price Table (Coverage including the U.S.)
|Age||Policy Max Limit $50,000||Policy Max Limit $100,000|
|31 days-24 years||$51||$59|
Patriot Exchange Program Insurance – FAQs
To be eligible to apply to the Patriot Exchange Plan, you must:
- Be a participant: a student, scholar, intern, teacher, or trainee enrolled in an educational or cultural exchange program for the purpose of teaching, study, research, or receiving on the job training for a temporary period of time.
- Be the spouse of a participant or children of a participant and residing outside his/her primary country of residence for a temporary period of time. The primary applicant must hold a J, M, or F visa.
- Be at least 31 days old but not yet 65 years old
Pre-existing can be covered but after a waiting period. For conditions existing within 36 months before the effective date, charges are excluded until after 12 months of coverage and then covered at $500 per period of coverage with a $1,500 maximum limit.
Outside the US the plan does not follow a network. You can utilize the International Provider Access for assistance in locating a health care provider. Inside the US, the Patriot Exchange Insurance provider network is First Health Network.
Adventure sports are not covered under the plan. However, the plan offers two different areas of coverage for sports. There is an Add on Rider for High School sports, personal liability, and legal assistance and then there is an adventure sports rider. Adventure sports are not covered in the plan. An optional rider is available for adventure sports for individuals and groups, and their dependents, up to the age of 65.
The application will need the name, date of birth, visitor’s address, passport country, and email address to send the insurance documents. If you do have the passport number, you can enter it. A valid credit card will be required to complete the purchase.
Once the application is submitted, you will receive your confirmation immediately. An email will also be sent to the email address provided on the application which will include links to download the ID card, Visa Letter, and Certificate wording.
If you have purchased the plan originally for at least 1 month, you can renew your policy for a minimum of 5 days, up to a maximum of 48 continuous months, as long as the premium is paid when due and the insured continues to meet the eligibility requirements of the plan.
Before the effective date of the policy: Full cancellation and refund will only be considered if the written request is received prior to the effective date of the coverage.
After the effective date of the policy: If the written request is received after the Effective Date of coverage, the following conditions apply if the Insured Person wishes to cancel the insurance and a written partial refund request has been made:
a) If any claims have been filed with the Company, the Premium is fully earned and is non-refundable.
b) If no claims have been filed with the Company, then
(i) a cancellation fee of US $50 will be charged; and
(ii) only full month premiums will be considered as refundable
It is a good practice to keep a copy of the entire claims documents with you before you submit a claim for processing
- Download and complete the Claims Form
- Attach copies of all the pages of the passport
- Attach any itemized bills or receipts if money was paid out of pocket for services
- Submit the above within the stipulated time of 90 days after seeing the provider
- Follow up on your claim by calling 800.628.4664 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Claims mailing address:
International Medical Group
P.O. Box 88500
Indianapolis, Indiana 46208
Or email email@example.com
The Patriot Exchange Program is underwritten by the Sirius International Insurance Corporation with an A.M. Best Rating of A (Excellent)
Patriot Exchange Program Insurance – Comparable Plans
Reviews of Patriot Exchange for International Students and Scholars
Add your comment by signing in or signing up.