Skip to Content

Transitioning from J1/F1 Visa to Employment: Understanding Insurance Options 

Transitioning from J1/F1 Visa to Employment

Transitioning from a J1 or F1 visa to employment in the US is an exciting phase, but it also brings new responsibilities, including healthcare. Navigating the complex world of insurance can be daunting, but with the right information, you can make informed choices to protect your health and finances. Here, we will explore the insurance options available to international students and scholars as they transition to employment, addressing usual questions and providing valuable insights to ensure a smooth transition. 

Understanding the visa transition 

The transition from a J1 or F1 visa to employment marks a significant shift in your status and responsibilities. When your J1 or F1 visa status ends, you are required to leave the US or apply for a change in status, such as an employment-based visa like an H-1B or OPT (Optional Practical Training). This transition can impact various aspects of your life, including your healthcare and insurance coverage. 

What happens when your J1/F1 visa status ends?  

For J1 visa holders: 

  • Typically, you have a grace period of 30 days after the end of your J1 program to depart the US. During this period, you can travel within the US, prepare for departure, or apply for a new visa status. 
  • A J1 visa is sponsored by a specific employer or program, and it grants you permission to work only for that sponsor. When your J1 status ends, you are no longer authorized to work for that employer or program. 
  • If the J1 program provides health insurance, coverage typically ends with the program’s end. This means you will need to secure new health insurance coverage to avoid being uninsured. 
  • Some individuals transition to other visa categories or statuses if they qualify, such as an H1B work visa, F1 student visa, or tourist visa (B1/B2). To change your status, you may need to apply for a new visa or file an application with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 
  • If you do not secure a new visa or status, you must leave the US by the end of the grace period to avoid violating US immigration laws. 

For F1 visa holders: 

  • As an F1 visa holder, you are typically granted a grace period of 60 days after completing your program. During this period, you can remain in the US, prepare for departure, or apply for a change of status. 
  • Your F1 visa may allow you to work under specific conditions, such as on-campus employment. When your F1 status ends, you are no longer eligible to work under those provisions. 
  • Many F1 students explore options to transition to other visa categories or statuses. For example, some may apply for an H1B work visa or OPT, seek sponsorship from an employer, or continue their education by enrolling in another academic program only if they qualify. 
  • If you are eligible for the OPT STEM extension, you can extend your F1 status and work authorization for an additional 24 months in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) field. This extension allows you more time to seek employment in your field of study. 
  • If you do not secure a new visa status or initiate the application process during the grace period, you must leave the US by the end of the 60-day grace period to maintain legal immigration status. 

Can F1/J1 visa holders qualify for employer-sponsored insurance after their status ends? 

J1/F1 visa holders may qualify for employer-sponsored insurance after their individual visa status ends, but eligibility depends on several factors, including the employer’s policies, the individual’s employment and visa status, and the terms of the insurance plan. Here are some key points to consider: 

  • Each employer sets its own policies regarding employee benefits, including health insurance. Some employers offer health insurance benefits to all full-time employees, regardless of visa status, while others may have specific eligibility criteria. 
  • Many employers provide health insurance primarily to full-time employees. If a J1 visa holder secures a full-time position, they may be more likely to qualify for employer-sponsored insurance. 
  • Some employers require new employees to complete a waiting period before becoming eligible for health insurance benefits. This waiting period can range from a few weeks to several months. You can choose to purchase a private health insurance plan directly from an insurance provider. This option offers flexibility but can be more expensive than employer-sponsored plans. 
  • If the individual is married to or in a domestic partnership with someone who has employer-sponsored health insurance, they may be eligible to join their spouse’s plan as a dependent. 

F1/J1 visa holders can potentially qualify for employer-sponsored insurance after their visa status ends, depending on several factors. It is essential for individuals in this situation to communicate with their prospective employer’s HR department or benefits coordinator to understand the company’s specific policies and options for health insurance. 

What other insurance options can F1/J1 visa holders have during transition? 

  • Individual Health Insurance: F1/J1 visa holders can apply for individual health insurance plans offered by private insurance companies.  It is important to shop around, compare plans, and choose one that meets their healthcare needs and budget. 
  • Short-Term Health Insurance: If eligible, these insurance plans provide temporary coverage and can be an option during transitional periods. However, these plans often have limitations and may not provide comprehensive coverage. 


Transitioning from a J1 or F1 visa to employment in the United States is a significant step that brings about changes not only in one’s immigration status but also in insurance coverage. Understanding these insurance options is crucial for a smooth transition. 

While employer-sponsored insurance offers comprehensive coverage for many, there might be waiting periods and limitations. Private insurance remains an option, providing flexibility and control over coverage. The choice depends on individual circumstances and preferences. 

For any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to call us. 

Chiranth Nataraj

Chiranth Nataraj

Travel Insurance Expert

Chiranth Nataraj is a licensed insurance agent and the principal at, an independent insurance agency that provides visitor insurance to customers across the United States and the world. With over 20 years of experience, Chiranth has been instrumental in educating the travel community, new immigrants, the international student community, and foreign governments about visitor medical insurance to cover medical expense risks. He has built a team that strives to make the preferred choice for travelers, exchange visitor organizations, and international universities. His insights and expertise have made him a popular industry voice, and he is often featured in USA Today, Forbes, Washington Post, and many more.


Recent posts

As an exchange program student venturing to the US on a J1 visa, you.

Explore More

As you have successfully navigated the world of academia as an F-1 visa holder,.

Explore More

The thrill of a J1 visa adventure in the US – cultural exchange, professional.

Explore More




Back to top